Friday, October 11, 2013

Getting to know: Rachel O'Brien


Sophomore standout Rachel O'Brien came to Adelphi from Bayport-Bluepoint in Suffolk County, Long Island. She quickly made her mark as a Panther, starting all 21 games and being the teams second leading scorer. 


To end the season, O'Brien went home with Rookie of the Year honors from the Northeast-10 and made the IWLCA Second-team All Region. I had a chance to sit down with Rachel and learn some new things about her as well as what she's looking forward to this season.






Alexa: What is your favorite sports related movie? Why?
Rachel: The Blind Side. To know that it is a true story makes it very inspirational. It's amazing that Michael Oher worked hard enough to get recognized and move from the collegiate level to the NFL. 

Alexa: What type of music do you generally listen to before games or while working out?
Rachel: I like to listen to anything that is fast and upbeat. Techno and house music like Avicii and Calvin Harris keep me pumped.

Alexa: Have any superstitions?
Rachel: It's not really a superstition, but my hair needs to be up in a tight bun or else I won't be "on" or feel right playing

Alexa: What are some of your favorite workout activities?
Rachel: I enjoy lifting a lot. Its fun to see how high you I get my max to be and if I can beat my personal records. I also like to do any sprinting drills, like T-sprints and 40's are great to keep me in shape. 
Alexa:  With a exceptional freshman year, what are you hoping to do in the upcoming season?
Rachel: My goal this season is to be stronger, faster and smarter on the field. It would be great to earn an All-American honor also.

Alexa: In what ways is the team different this year from last?
Rachel: A big difference is not having Todd as our assistant coach anymore. He was a big part of the team last year, so it will definitely be an adjustment to not have him anymore. 

Alexa: What are some ways that you fine-tune your play? 
Rachel: I like to shoot on my own when I get the chance and I also run as much as I can.

Alexa: What are the teams goals for the 2014 season?
Rachel: Our first goal would be to go to another Final Four. We had such a strong bond last year and made a lot of memories at the tournament. 

Alexa: Who is the biggest rival in the upcoming season?
Rachel: C.W. Post. We have had a rivalry for a while. They barely got past us in the semi-final game last year. I'm excited to play them this season and see if we can get some redemption. 

Alexa: What advice would you give to someone interested in playing attack?
Rachel: I would tell girls to watch a lot of D1 highlights, boys and girls. They are smart players and know how to see the field, shoot, and make smart passes.


No comments:

Post a Comment